Wednesday, April 30, 2008

FUN AND FREE MOTION QUILTING


I thoroughly enjoyed this class and again, I forgot my camera. I really need to just stash it in my purse so I always have it.

A sweet lady named Marilyn taught this class. She was a wonderful teacher and was encouraging us to try and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I wasn't able to stay for the whole class because I had to get my kids from school. My dh was just flying in from being out of town, so he wasn't able to pick them up so I could finish the class. She knew I had to leave early and so did another lady because of committments so she taught us how to do all the fun stuff . How to make loops, stars, hearts, cabbage roses, triangles. I have to say though ladies. If you are new to free motion quilting and have never done it before like myself it is not as easy at it looks. As you will see by my samples I am posting.








Getting the speed of the foot pedal regulated with the speed of your hands is the key. I haven't mastered that yet LOL. Hopefully when the kids are out of school I can concentrate on practicing.

I should mention that the book Marilyn taught from for the class was this one by Pat Sloan. Check her out on youtube. She has some nice tutorials on there.
So, as I mentioned before I had to leave class a little early. The last hour and half we were to put our new found skills in to practice on a table runner we were to have pieced prior to class. Here is mine. It is all wrinkled from being in my quilt carrier for over a week. It's not the most beautiful of color combos. I have to confess after paying for the class and having to purchase the book, I didn't want to have to purchase fabrics too. So, I swiped what I could from the stash I have.

Once I practice, practice practice and feel confident to free motion on a nicely pieced quilt top, then I will post a finished project. Until then, like Marilyn said, "I can't stress enough to PRACTICE , PRACTICE, PRACTICE!"
Have a blessed day!
Cheryl


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

BumbleBee Bagz said...

i did one quilt with free motion and for ocd people like me it was horrible, you have to just let go and go for it, i kept trying to match everything up. i cant wait to see yours when you are done, even you practice pieces look great!!!;)

Anonymous said...

You are sweet to like my practice pieces. LOL, that's my stash that I am trying to bust through so I can buy some new fabric. I love the new Joel Dewberry Fabric, Moda's simplicity line and Ginger Blossom, the Nigella...LOL, I could go on and on.
Yep, I just need to let go and go for it. I am one of those people that wants to do it right...lol, you know a perfectionist wannabe! HAHA.