Wednesday, April 30, 2008

HUCK WEAVING

Christina over at Bumblebeebags (you can find her here http://bumblebeebags.blogspot.com/) asked if I would show you an example of Huck Weaving from my craft day at my church. I don't know that I can explain it very well, but you will see from the picture that it is kinda like embroidery or cross stitch, except that you weave through the cloth. The cloth is very soft and yarn is what is used to weave in and out of the cloth to create your design. The needle that is used is very long, but blunt. I gotta tell ya I fell in love with this craft. Very relaxing and instantly gratifying. You start to see results quickly. The gal that showed us how to do it brought in some examples. She had a beautiful blanket done with hunter green yarn and the pattern on the cloth was just gorgeous. She also had a table runner in progress that she was working on. On the table runner she used variegated yarn. Using variegated yarn makes a beautiful end result too. Lotsa contrast. I could just kick myself for not bringing my camera so I would be able to show you pics of that. Here is a link that explains it probably better than I do and has an illustration of how the weaving is done. They also have a link to click to to get some free patterns.http://www.stitchpics.com/huckhow.htm

Here is a sample from the class. I don't know if it's my sample or not though. She only had so many samples to use and I shared mine with someone else. Anyhow, you get the idea though. Below the sample is a close up of the cloth. It is called Monks Cloth.


If anyone is ineterested in doing this let me know. The gal teaching it did give me a pattern to use. Also, if anyone reads up on it and decideds to do a project please share. I would love to see your creations.

Pin It Now!

No comments: